Monday 29 October 2007

Court of Appeal

I have been in the Court of Appeal today and I am exhausted. I wasn't even the one making the arguments, but I am still completely drained. I don't think it was going too well either - we just seemed to go round in circles with our arguments.

But it was so exciting to be there! The barristers and judges wore their wigs and robes - which they don't normally do in the High Court anymore. You have to go that step up to the Court of Appeal I guess. This is why I became a lawyer - to have all these complex arguments about the law and really be influencing how the law is interpreted. Really neat.

It was a bit embaressing because all last week I had been preparing supplemental bundles for the judges as the barristers came up with new authorities they wanted to use. I lodged all the new authorities at Court last week, within the relevant deadlines. And did they have the bundles all ready to refer to today? Of course not - apparently their clerks never gave them the new authorities. So there was some scrambling around in trying to get 3 copies of everything for the judges.... I tell you - can't get the staff these days!

We're in for another day of it tomorrow. Will let you know how it goes.

No comments: