Thursday 15 April 2010

Cello lessons


I have decided to learn to play the cello. I've always loved it and figured now was as good a time as any to learn. I have hired a cello from the local music shop and found a teacher in my town. He's very good - still doing his degree in cello performance, but he also teaches piano and violin. I had my first lesson last weekend and was excited to get practicing on Sunday. Then I got the bright idea to try my hand at tuning and managed to break the C string. That's the really big fat one that is the equivalent of the C two octaves below middle C on the piano. When I told my teacher he said it was quite an achievement and he has never broken the C string. Guess I didn't know my own strength! I have managed to buy and fit a new string, but I think it's pretty bad quality because, even though it's now roughly in tune, it just sounds so much worse than the other ones. Think I'll be string shopping again this weekend once my teacher has had a chance to look at it and recommend the best one for the instrument (that won't cost the earth as I can't afford to keep replacing good strings on a weekly basis!) I have already managed a C major scale though and am learning how to hold the bow and make a sound that isn't too painful for the ears! (Poor J and the kitties!) But it gives me something to look forward to in the evenings to spend a little time practicing something and it has also inspired me to get back into practicing the piano. I really appreciate being able to sit down and actually make music on that instrument! Stay tuned for some pics with me and my beautiful cello :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't wait for the pics! xoxo

Trisha said...

Well with your piano talent, I am sure you can pick up any instrument and play it well. :)