Sunday 30 September 2007

Driving a Manual

I have been learning to drive a manual car so I can get my driving licence in the UK. So, besides getting used to gear changes, I also have had to learn to deal with the narrow roads, faster pace of driving, and left side of the road! Needless to say, it has been an experience and I have gradually been building up my confidence with my driving instructor over the summer.

As of 1 September, I was insured to drive J's baby - a Seat Leon Cupra, Turbo fast thing-a-mi-jig. So this month, J has been patiently helping me practice too. (Our marriage is just surviving....) But it has all paid off, because I had my lesson this morning and my instructor thinks I'm ready to book my test now!

Just need to practice a little more on the country roads as well as my reversing around a corner and parallel parking. (Can you believe that two lane country roads through the forest have a speed limit of 60 mph here?!?! If you don't get up to at least 50, they will mark you down....) I miss the wide roads of California.

4 comments:

chickadee3357 said...

That would suck to learn a manual like you have! I remember when I was learning and I stopped at a red light, but this is on a 3 lane each way road with a 40 mph speed limit. But while I was sitting at the light someone pulled up behind me, and I started to get all nervous. When the light turned green sure enough I stalled. From then on I decided to tell myself "I can do this" at a red light instead of freaking myself out about stalling.

Julie said...

And I thought small parking spaces were annoying! Good luck on your exam! And Devon, I know it was the last post, looks beautiful. Love the boots!

Trisha said...

sounds like a fun adventure! I actually miss driving a little manual!!

Mom of Four said...

Dave and I drove down in Australia a few times a couple of years ago. It is so weird driving on the opposite side and I especially did not like right-handed turns.